Reading Time: 7 minutes –
The Civic Holiday long weekend is here from July 30th to Aug 2nd and now is a great time to get your plans in motion! If you have been holding off travel, this is the perfect opportunity to take some time off and spend it with family and friends for a fun filled weekend!
Clifton Hill offers the ultimate Civic Holiday long weekend destination…everything you could possibly want for an fun getaway is in close proximity to one another on the Hill. What’s better than great food, fun activities, and stunning scenic views with all the people you love?
What is the Civic Holiday?
Civic Holiday is celebrated annually on the first Monday in August across Canada, but takes many different names across the provinces and territories. In Ontario, the holiday was created to honour John Graves Simcoe who was the creator of the birthplace of modern Toronto, as well as to celebrate diverse Canadian culture. But each province and territory has adopted it’s own reason to celebrate.
Civic Holiday Weather
The weekend weather will be perfect for the Civic Holiday!
Niagara Falls Parking
You will find plenty of parking over the Civic Holiday weekend at this lot pictured in the map below. It’s only a 5 minute walk down Clifton Hill to the illumination show. It’s a short walk to the Fallsview Casino and their adjoining restaurants. Queen Victoria Park offers amazing scenic views of the Falls, access the Hornblower Niagara Cruises, and the Zipline to the Falls attraction!
Amazing Room Rates at Niagara Falls’ Top Hotels
Great news for overnight travelers, hotel rates are still very low for Civic Holiday weekend getaways! If you’re coming in from out of town, the best way to ensure an epic weekend is with the perfect place to stay. Choosing from our list of recommended hotels ensures that you are in the heart of all of the action
Making the Most of the Weekend
Niagara SkyWheel: OPEN DAILY 10am-2:00am!
Soar 175-feet above Niagara Falls for the view of a lifetime! The Niagara SkyWheel gives riders a breathtaking panoramic view of this spectacular natural wonder from the vantage of climate controlled gondolas. Soak in the awe-inspiring scene year-round, day and night, in total comfort. Get tickets for the Niagara SkyWheel
Niagara Speedway: OPEN DAILY 10am-1:30am!
A Clifton Hill hit that is not to be missed is the Niagara Speedway which combines traditional go-karts with the added fun and excitement of an elevated coaster styled track. Our most talked about attraction, with a track that spans 2000 feet and climbs up a 4-story spiral before you head down the ramp.
Movieland Wax Museum: OPEN DAILY 10am-1am!
All New Exhibits!!! Check out Niagara Falls’ top wax museum and be amazed by our life-like wax sculptures of characters from classic films like Aliens and the Terminator…to current hits like Black Widow and the Ironman! Snap a selfie next to your favourite stars and celebrities this weekend!
Take a picture with the all new Chris Hemsworth wax figure as Thor Odinson the Asgardian God of Thunder, Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff in Black Widow, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson in Jumanji, Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean, Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, plus many more!
Niagara Falls Restaurants
To keep you fueled and ready for action we have two family friendly restaurants that feature a broad selection of menu items. Both Boston Pizza and Kelsey’s Original Roadhouse are the perfect way to take a break from the action while still being able to see the action from a distance that to the outdoor patio dining options.
Events for The Civic Holiday Weekend!
Below is a listing of all the top events for Civic Holiday Weekend in the Falls and the Niagara Region.
Niagara Parks Power Station: Opening Friday July 30th!
The newest attraction in Niagara Falls, the Niagara Parks Power Station is slated to open to the public on July 30, 2021! Be amongst the first few visitors to explore the first major power plant on the Canadian side of the Niagara River with immersive exhibits, restored artifacts and interactive storytelling. And at night, feel the once-dormant power station come to life in a breathtaking interactive experience you’ll never forget.
For 100 years, the “Canadian Niagara Power Company generating station” harnessed the powerful energy of the Horseshoe Falls and turned it into a great source of electricity. Now, years after its turbines came to a halt, the wonder of this hydropower pioneer is coming back to life in an entertaining and educational experience that highlights both the remarkable history and unique architectural features of this 115-year-old engineering marvel.
This not-to-be-missed experience offers an opportunity to be part of a thrilling revival, and a chance to discover the incredible history and heritage of this celebrated building. Dive into the history of the visionaries behind it as well as the workers that kept it running.
Niagara Falls Illumination
Every evening beginning at dusk the Falls are lit in the colours of the rainbow – don’t miss the unmatched beauty of the Falls at night!
Now to July 31st: from 8:30 PM – 2:00 AM
August 1 to 15th: from 8:00 PM – 2:00 AM
Special Illumination Events:
Blue Jays return home on July 29: from 10:00 PM – 10:15 PM
National Gastroschisis Awareness Day on July 30: from 9:45 PM – 10:00 PM
22 Anniversary of Throne Feast on July 30: from 10:00 PM – 10:15 PM
Food Day Canada on July 31 from 10:00 PM – 10:15 PM
Greg Frewin Theatre
A little bit of mystery is waiting to be found in Niagara Falls. Discover it for yourself at the Greg Frewin Theater where you will be amazed by The International Grand Champion of Magic.
July 30, July 31 and August 2nd
6:15 PM: WILD MAGIC Dinner 6:15PM / Show 7:30PM
7:30 PM: WILD MAGIC – Show Only 7:30PM
Shaw Festival Events This Weekend
World-class theatre — in blissful Niagara wine country. World class plays on 3 stages, plus many other events & activities. Ready? We certainly are!
- The Shaw Festival presents: A Short History of Niagara
- Thu, July 29, @11:00 AM at The BMO Stage
- Fri, July 30, @11:00 AM & 12:30 PM at The Humeniuk Foundation Stage
- Sat, July 31, @11:00 AM & 1:00 PM at The BMO Stage
- Sun, August 1, @11:00 AM, 4:00 PM & 5:30 PM at The Humeniuk Foundation Stage
“While it has never been more challenging to make theatre, it has never been easier to make the case for theatre.”
– Tim Carroll, Artistic Director
St. Catharines Rotary Rib Fest
Drive Thru Experience! Welcome to this year’s Rotary Ribfest. Covid-19 may have stopped us from having Ribs in Montebello Park, but we can still enjoy mouth watering barbeque at the Pen Centre. Niagara’s biggest and best summer festival takes place every Civic Holiday Weekend in the summer. This drive through only event features all of the delicious food Rotary Ribfest is famous for serving!
Saturday, July 31st 11 am to 8 pm | Sunday, August 1 11 am to 8 pm | Monday, August 2 11 am to 6 pm
Click here for details of the Rotary Ribfest
Other Civic Holiday Events
- Niagara Falls Farmers Market: Every Saturday at 7 AM to 1 PM. Location: MacBain Community Centre, 7150 Montrose Road
- Shaw Festival Music Events
- Fort George National Historic Site Open from 12 pm – 5 pm Wednesday to Sunday. Important note: Ticket sales end at 4:15 pm. Site closes at 5 pm. Visit our daily programming page for a list of daily activities.
- Niagara’s Dark History Tour Every Saturday at 5pm. Only dark history and strange stories of Canada’s Prettiest Town, Niagara-on-the-Lake. Featuring the true villain of the 1813 burning, a disgruntled British politician. With a disappearance that almost ended Freemasonry, the lover’s public execution and standing up to slavery with violence. Get details here.
Shopping in Niagara
- Canada Trading on Clifton Hill will be open 10am to 1am
- Fudge Factory on Clifton Hill will be open 10am to 1:30am
- Canada One in Niagara Falls will be open 10 am to 7 pm
- SmartCentres in Niagara Falls, Welland and St Catharines will be open 24 hours
- Outlet Collection at Niagara in Niagara-on-the-Lake open from 11 am to 7 pm
- The Pen Centre in St Catharines will be open 10 am to 5 pm
- Fairview Mall in St Catharines will be open 10 am to 5 pm
- Briarfield Shopping Centre in St Catharines will be open 9 am to 9 pm
- Pendale Plaza in St Catharines will be open 10 am to 10 pm
- Seaway Mall in Welland will be open 10 am to 7 pm
Beer and Liquor Stores
- Beer Store
- The following Beer Stores will be open 11 am to 6 pm on Monday, August 3rd.
- Niagara Falls (6757 Lundy’s Lane)
- Niagara Falls (3739 Portage Rd. N.)
- Most of the LCBO stores in the Niagara Region will be operating under the reduced hours of 11am to 6 pm on the Civic Holiday (Monday, August 3rd ). Customers are encouraged to check the store locator feature for their local store hours on lcbo.com or the mobile app.
Driving Route Alternatives
Visiting today for the Civic Holiday? Here are a few driving options to consider while getting in and out of the Falls. Have a safe and happy holiday today!