Chicken Recipe: Butter Chicken! The name alone can make you want to enjoy this ever-so-popular Indian dish. Butter chicken continues to be a hit among Indians and foreigners alike, especially those who want a taste of authentic Indian cuisine. There are many versions of how this dish was created and most historians agree that the iconic Butter Chicken was invented in the kitchens of Moti Mahal. This recipe of Butter Chicken is easy to follow and makes for an instant conversation-starter!
Ingredients of Butter Chicken Recipe | Restaurant Style Butter Chicken Recipe: Marinated overnight, the chicken is roasted and cooked in tomato puree, cream, butter and a host of masalas. A perfect dinner party recipe, this North-Indian style chicken recipe is made throughout the country with equal zest and can be served with cooked rice or naan.
Ingredients Of Butter Chicken
- 400 gms raw chicken
- For the Marinade:
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp ginger and garlic paste
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup curd
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- 2 tsp mustard oil
- For gravy:
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 to taste butter cubes
- 3 gram cloves
- 1 Cinnamon sticks, sliced
- 1 tsp mace
- 7 Cardamom
- 4 Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 butter cubes
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 green chilli
- 2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp cream
How to Make Butter Chicken
- For marination:
- 1.In a mixing bowl, put raw chicken pieces and add salt, red chilli powder, ginger garlic paste and lemon juice. Mix well.
- 2.Refrigerate for about 15-20 minutes.
- 3.Now add curd to the refrigerated mix. Followed by salt, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, garam masala, kasuri methi and mustard oil. Mix well and refrigerate again for an hour.
- 4.Roast the marinated chicken in an oven for about 30 minutes until it is three-fourth done.
- Prepare the chicken gravy:
- 1.Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan with butter.
- 2.Add cloves, cinnamon stick, mace and cardamom. Saute and then add chopped tomatoes, garlic and ginger. Mix well and then grind well.
- 3.In another pan, heat another two cubes of butter, along with ginger garlic paste.
- 4.Add the tomato puree made from the mixture. Now add red chilli powder, kasuri methi, honey and finally the roasted chicken pieces. Let it simmer.
- 5.Add green chilli, cardamom powder and cream. Mix well.
- 6.Serve with a teaspoon of cream over.
This is a classic chicken dish and enjoyed best when served hot. You can also garnish it with cream and green chillies just before serving.
We have a huge variety of recipes when it comes to Indian chicken curries so you never run out of options.
If you are a health conscious chicken lover, we have got you covered even then with our delicious Low Fat Butter Chicken.
You could make a vegetarian version of the dish by simple replacing chicken with pieces of paneer. Marinate the paneer for 5-6 hours too to ensure there is enough flavour in them before putting them in the oven or tandoor.Key Ingredients: raw chicken, red chilli powder, ginger and garlic paste, salt, lemon juice, curd, garam masala , kasuri methi , mustard oil , oil, butter cubes, cloves, Cinnamon sticks, mace, Cardamom, Tomatoes, garlic, ginger, butter cubes, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, kasuri methi, honey, green chilli, cardamom powder, cream