“Tough day for USA at Twitter. we have a tendency to all feel terrible this happened,” Twitter chief executive officer Jack Dorsey same once official accounts of outstanding personalities from political, tech, diversion, and alternative spheres like Barak Obama, Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Kim Kardashian and school firms like Apple and Uber were hacked for promoting a bitcoin scam. within the event, a number of the leading cryptocurrency sites were conjointly affected. there’s still no clear info on World Health Organization was accountable for cryptocurrency scam however Twitter same it’s work the matter and can retreat to with details shortly.
Twitter acknowledged the hacking incident virtually once Associate in Nursing hour of silence and same, “We ar alert to a security incident impacting accounts on Twitter. we have a tendency to ar work and taking steps to mend it. we’ll update everybody shortly.” Here’s a timeline of incidents that occurred and the way the social media platform tackled it.
- It all started once a tweet requesting donations within the cryptocurrency was announce from official accounts of Barak Obama, Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Kim Kardashian, Uber, Apple and a lot of. The tweet from Musk’s account noted, “All Bitcoin sent to the address below are going to be sent back doubled! If you send $1000, i will be able to remit $2000. solely doing this for half-hour. Enjoy!” an analogous tweet was announce from alternative accounts asking users to present Bitcoin and acquire double reciprocally. For now, there are not any details on what percentage fell prey to the scam. Twitter is work the matter.
- Official account of school firms Apple and Uber were among the primary to be compact, followed by those of Elon Musk and entrepreneur. within the next few hours the hackers took over handles of Barack Obama, Biden, microphone Bloomberg and conjointly Jeff Bezos. Twitter handles of boxer Floyd Mayweather and celebrity Kim Kardashian was conjointly affected later.
- Slightly over Associate in Nursing hour once this tweet was sent out from accounts, Twitter acknowledged the difficulty and same it’s taking necessary steps to mend the difficulty.
- Twitter during a matter of couple of minutes bolted the affected accounts and removed Tweets announce by the attackers. “We have bolted accounts that we have a tendency tore compromised and can restore access to the initial account owner only if we are bound we will do thus firmly,” it noted during a series of tweets.
- The social media large restricted the flexibility to tweet or reset the account secret that the hacker accountable for the scam isn’t able to post additional and trick users on the platform. The restrictions were removed later however Twitter noted, “Most accounts ought to be able to Tweet once more. As we have a tendency to continue functioning on a fix, this practicality could return and go. We’re operating to induce things back to traditional as quickly as possible.”
- Twitter then same it detected “a coordinated social engineering attack” by hackers World Health Organization ab into targeted a number of the workers with access to internal systems and tools.
- According a report coming back from Vice a hacker gained access to Twitter admin took on the company’s network that LED to the hijack of accounts of far-famed personalities. The report states that the knowledge the data associated with the Twitter admin tool comes from an individual with direct knowledge of the incident. the corporate is however to throw lightweight on the claim.
What was the Twitter hack all about?
Around four pm Wednesday within the USA, several high-profile accounts started tweeting a message speech communication any bitcoin sent to a link within the tweet are going to be sent back doubled, a suggestion the tweet same last only for half-hour.
Apple and Uber handles were among the primary to be compact, followed by those of Musk and Gates. during a few hours, it had seized the handles of Obama, Biden, microphone Bloomberg and Amazon founder Jeff Bezos. round the time handles of boxer Floyd Mayweather and celebrity Kim Kardashian had been affected, Twitter bolted most giant verified accounts across the USA and remainder of the globe.
However, within the four-odd hours the tweets were live, the Bitcoin pocketbook promoted within the tweets received over $100,000 via a minimum of three hundred transactions.
What is Twitter Saying about the incident?
Twitter’s product lead Kayvon Beykpour tweeted that their “investigation into the safety incident continues to be ongoing”, and secure a lot of updates from @TwitterSupport. “In the meanwhile, I simply wished to mention that I’m extremely compassionate the disruption and frustration this incident has caused our customers,” he said.
In a series of tweets, @TwitterSupport acknowledged the “security incident” and enlightened users that they perhaps be unable to tweet or reset passwords until the micro-blogging platform reviewed the incident.
About four hours once the primary acknowledgment, the handle said: “Most accounts ought to be able to Tweet once more. As we have a tendency to continue functioning on a fix, this practicality could return and go. We’re operating to induce things back to traditional as quickly as possible.”
Twitter chief executive officer Jack Dorsey known as it a troublesome day for “us at Twitter”. “We all feel terrible this happened. We’re designation and can share everything we will after we have a a lot of complete understanding of specifically what happened,” he tweeted.
How did the Twitter hack happen?
According to Twitter Support, the “coordinated social engineering attack” was dead by those that “successfully targeted a number of our staff with access to internal systems and tools”. “We apprehend they used this access to require management of the many highly-visible (including verified) accounts and Tweet on their behalf. We’re trying into what alternative malicious activity they’ll have conducted or info they’ll have accessed and can share a lot of here as we’ve it,” another tweet same. Twitter same that at the same time as it’s restricted practicality of the affected accounts, it conjointly restricted access to internal systems and tools.
Clearly, the vulnerability that has been exploited was at intervals the Twitter systems and not on the user face.
If you like to keep track of these technologies, simply follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and, or head to my website for many more in depth articles on these topics. Read other Articles.