Autumn is the perfect time to get outside with your family and enjoy creating wonderful memories. And with all the events and activities you can get up to in our National Park it’ll be impossible for the kids to get bored this October half term.
- There’s nowhere better to admire the changing seasons than in our woodlands. They stimulate the senses, from the beautiful songs of the birds and the smell of wildflowers, to the crunch of leaves underfoot. Click here for woodlands to visit.
- Visit one of our many Castles. As our National Park is situated close to the border between Wales and England, many a territorial struggle has taken place on our doorstep. Magnificent ruins such as those at Brecon, Crickhowell, Llandovery and Tretower bear witness to a turbulent past, while grand mansions such as Cyfarthfa Castle, Newton House at Dinefwr and Tretower Court remind us that castles were once mighty symbols of power and wealth. Visit our most romantic Carreg Cennen-originally a medieval hill fort. More information about all the Castles in the Brecon Beacons can be found here.
- Enjoy an outdoor activity with a difference this October in the Brecon Beacons.With Good Day Out, you can enjoy one of their small group innovative Walking with Animals experiences. Take a Piggy Walk & Pig-Nic with a stroll along the scenic Senni Valley in the company of some KuneKune pigs with a paddle in the river if conditions allow and tea & cakes after, or Dinky Donkey Walking with sweet little Miniature Mediterranean donkeys around quiet farmland with far-reaching views and a picnic on the hill. You can also spend a morning learning about how to work a sheep dog. In the company of a local shepherd who competes internationally, you will see several dogs in different stages of their training, and get to have a go with voice commands and gestures to move a small herd of sheep. If you are keen on Wildlife and Conservation, the Hedgehog Experience is very very worthwhile, however it is only for ages 16 & over. Visiting a working Rescue, you will learn about emergency care and habitat, and will help with feeding any hoglets if this is needed. For these and other Good Day Out activities and adventures, please visit www.gooddayout.co.uk or contact them with email@example.com or 01874 749092.
- Cover more ground on a family bike ride. There are six recommended moderate, traffic-free cycle touring routes in the Brecon Beacons National Park. They’re perfect for a half day or full day cycle ride and a great way for you and your family or friends to get out into our beautiful countryside. Check out the routes here
- Head to Cantref for Harry Trotter And The Pumpkin Patch – 26th October – 4th November 2019. Put on your scarf, wrap up warm and fly over to Harry Trotter’s Wizard School at Cantref for some magical fun this October Half Term. Hop aboard the Cantref Express through Platform 9 and 6/8 to driving past the spooky forest,continue on your journey to marvel at the talking pumpkins and complete your wizard training at Wizard School with the star attraction Harry Trotter himself!A day at Cantref Adventure Farm is always a full fun day, but this October half term, we promise it will be more fun than ever before!! Find out more here
- Keep underground in Dan Yr Ogof Cave our annual ‘Halloween experience’ takes place. Long before you get to the unique setting for our Halloween festivities the cries, moans of the ghosts, and ghouls can be heard echoing through the cave! Looking up you will see witches flying out of the smaller cave passageways as they make their way to Cauldron Chamber, which is the starting point for this unearthly event. Everywhere in this section of the cave the human skulls, spiders, rats, and screeching sounds indicate that you are in another world, the underworld, where everyone’s most terrifying fantasies have suddenly become a reality! Find out more here.
- Enjoy a Spooky afternoon tea at the Old Railway Garden Centre. Are you brave enough for our Spooky Afternoon Tea? We welcome families to join us for horror-rific Halloween themed cakes and spooky sandwiches before enjoying a scary story and venturing through our haunted Halloween Walkway – will you make it out the other side? There will also be a prize for the best child’s fancy dress and a party bag for each child to take home! Find out more here
Read more about the Halloween events happening over half term here.
- Layer up and take to the water. Give your legs a break from walking, hiking and cycling and check out the spectacular views from the water. The Brecon Beacons National Park offers an array range of options for paddlesports, from the tranquillity of canals, reservoirs, lakes and rivers to extreme kayaking over jaw-dropping waterfalls. Find out more here
- Did you know on a clear night in the Brecon Beacons, you can see the Milky Way, major constellations, bright nebulas and even meteor showers. It’s enough to make anyone starry eyed. Our Park has some of the highest quality dark skies in the whole of the UK, making it the perfect destination for stargazers. There are loads of Events to enjoy stargazing – check out the ones on this month here. Check out our top 10 places to go stargazing here